Saturday, January 7, 2012

Going Independent

Garry had a camera to record lessons. This was helpful for reviewing maneuvers!
I recently left the flight school I was attending to find an independent CFI. There were reasons behind this that aren't worth the time to rant about, but suffice to say the independent style is suiting me much better. I actually had no problems with my previous instructor, so there is a little bit of sadness there, but sometimes you have to take the path that leads to clearer skies.

After a couple of lessons with my new instructor, I'm about to finally solo away from the airport traffic pattern and practice maneuvers on my own. Through investigation, it appears that me having done 10 solos and 50 landings for 7.3 hours in the traffic pattern was a low and slow way of building faith in a student's abilities. I'm happy this new style of instruction is actually going to allow me to spread my wings a bit and get some practice without a right-seat driver. This solo will be tomorrow morning, and I'm eager but nervous!

It is looking like, good health and clouds permitting, I will be able to test for my license by the end of the month.