Saturday, January 21, 2012

Counting Hours

Taken just before my first solo, as I counted landings in the past 15 days.

I've broken the 60 hour mark, have more than 10 hours solo with 5 hours cross-country solo experience. I'm within tolerances on my maneuvers and have proven my ability to navigate by radio, pilotage and dead-reckoning to 3 people, soon to be 4. Yet here I am, Student Pilot.

It's getting harder to put my life on hold for this pursuit 11 months after it began. Bitterness doesn't usually become me, but honestly I'm getting tired of proving I can spin in circles while holding altitude. Weeeee!

While I never want to stop learning, I want to stop proving and start enjoying flight again. Last week was my long solo cross-country (KSEE-KTRM-KHMT-KSEE) and it was incredible, but I can't yet muster the strength to blog positively about it. My mind swarms with federal regulations and practical test standards.

Now the pressure is on. I have a stage check coming up, and if I do well then it's not much further from there. However, I know if I screw that up it could mean a few more weeks of winter, and that costs money.